- Use a pool cover to reduce water loss from evaporation.
- Repair pool leaks. A one-inch-per-day leak in a 15 foot by 30 foot pool can waste about 102,000 gallons per year.
- Manually clean your filter.
- Maintain proper chemical levels and adequate circulation time to avoid needing to either drain your pool or use excess water to correct issues.
- Consider turning off the tile-spray device on an automatic pool cleaner. This device can create splashing and overspray that ends up out of the pool or evaporates before it even hits the tile.
- Reevaluate the frequency of backwashing.
Source: California Urban Water Conservation Council