Brain-Eating Amoeba Not Passed By Drinking Water

You may have heard reports about a brain-eating amoeba that was found in the water supply in southeast Texas. Almost all occurrences of infection due to this organism in recent decades were due to recreational water sources, not tap water. While that concept can be alarming, here are some facts about how these amoebas affect humans and what Cal Water is doing to keep your water safe.

It is important to note that a person cannot get infected from drinking water that contains this organism; rather, a person can only be infected when it goes up the nose. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides additional guidance for consumers to protect yourselves due to your own home plumbing, such as not sniffing water into your nose when bathing, showering, washing your face, or swimming in small, hard plastic/blow-up pools; not allowing children to play unsupervised with hoses or sprinklers; keeping swimming pools adequately disinfected; and only using boiled and cooled, distilled, or sterile water to make sinus rinse solutions. Additional tips are available here.

Protecting your health and safety is our highest priority, and we have a rigorous treatment and testing process to ensure proper disinfection of the water at all times. We also proactively maintain and upgrade the water system infrastructure in accordance with industry standards, and flush portions of the water system to keep water from becoming stagnant for long periods of time. This prevents conditions that allow for this organism and other potential contaminants to survive in finished water.